REMEMBER: 1200-1500 words, SUBMIT a PDF version, SUBMIT a second PDF to this assignment for peer review
Assume that you are briefing your boss, a corporate vice president, who has joined the board of a community organization that aims to assist poor individuals and families. He knows very little about how much poverty there is in the U.S., how it is measured, and what current poverty measures mean. He has asked you to prepare a memo, no longer than 1500 words, that will help him appear knowledgeable on the subject at his first board meeting.
Be sure to include the following elements in your memo for full credit:
- Define and explain the U.S. official poverty measure (OPM)
- Define and explain the Census Bureauâ€™s Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM)
- Discuss the pros and cons of the above two measures
- Provide at least two examples of group for which the OPM and SPM differ significantly and explain WHY they differ
- Cite at least 2 facts/quotes/specific knowledge from the required reading
- Explain why certain groups can have much higher than average poverty rates, but still not represent a large fraction of the poor, and give an example
- Give a summary of the level of U.S. poverty and its distribution across groups, as of 2016
Be sure to think about the organization of your memo, use sub-headings when helpful, and think about the structure of individual paragraphs. Your memo should have an introduction and conclusion. Proofread carefully.
As always, include the total word count (not counting footnotes/citations) at the bottom of your memo. Convert the memo into pdf format before uploading to Canvas. Plagiarism will be reported to Student Judicial Affairs and will result in a grade of zero.